Have you ever felt like everything around you seem to be spinning all of a sudden, or you start swaying and feel off-balance while walking, or felt like you were titling for a short period of time, hours or even days?
Then, you may have experienced or be experiencing vertigo.
Fortunately, it’s not that serious and you can treat or should we say get rid of vertigo naturally without breaking the bank with the six proven tips we shared in this article.
So hang tight, keep scrolling to see all you need to know about this health condition called vertigo.
What is Vertigo?
Vertigo is a condition where you feel as if you or the objects or surroundings around you is moving or spinning when they are really not.
Vertigo makes you feel off balance and it often comes with difficulty walking, sweating, nausea or vomiting.
Despite the entire uncomfortable situation this condition causes, the good thing is you can get rid of vertigo naturally and you will learn 6 proven tips that work effectively.
Causes of Vertigo
Balance in the inner ear is often responsible for most vertigo.
This happens when delicate parts of the ear do not send accurate signals to the brain about your position.
There are other several conditions that can cause vertigo and they include:
- Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) – it occurs during specific rapid head movements, when you stand up, sit up, bend over, or turn in bed. BPPV causes brief, intense experience of vertigo.
- Meniere’s disease – this is an uncommon condition that affects the inner ear and can cause vertigo that can last for hours, feeling of plugged ear and irregular hear loss.
- Infection – intense and constant vertigo can be caused by viral infection of the vestibular nerve, known as vestibular neuritis (inflammation of the vestibular nerve). Another ear infection that can lead to vertigo is labyrinthitis (inflammation of the labyrinth of the inner ear).
- Migraine – severe headaches may cause vertigo or dizziness that can last for several minutes to hours.
- Head injury – there are possibilities for you to develop vertigo or dizziness after a head injury but this is less often.
Signs and Symptoms of Vertigo
Vertigo is a sensation of spinning while still.
These signs and symptoms may come and go and can last for a few minutes to few hours or even more.
The common signs and symptoms of vertigo include:
- Having spinning sensation
- Feeling like you’re tilting
- Feeling off-balanced
- Swaying when walking or moving
- Ringing in the ears or hearing loss
Your vertigo may be associated with other symptoms like:
- Abnormal eye movement
If you clearly have vertigo signs and symptoms then consider yourself lucky to come across this article because it is high time you said goodbye to your uneasy condition.
Medical/Clinical Treatment of Vertigo
Treatingvertigo with medicines depends on the cause of your vertigo and how chronic the signs and symptoms are.
The medicines are available in liquids, tablets, capsules and as injections. They include:
- Antihistamines which are medications that can help you treat vertigo in short-term by reducing dizziness.
- Water pills may be prescribed to you if you have Meniere’s disease.
- Prochlorperazines may help you treat severe sickness.
- Anticonvulsants are good medications for vestibular migraines.
- Anti-nausea drugs may also be prescribed to you by your doctor if your vertigo is accompanied with nausea.
These medicines come with side effects although they are usually not serious ones. The common ones are headaches, tiredness, indigestion, constipation and drowsiness.
How to Treat Vertigo Naturally
There is no doubt. You are reading this article because you either do not like meds, or you are tired of using them or you perhaps want to avoid their side effects.
Don’t worry; there are other ways to get rid of vertigo naturally and you will learn about them and their amazing benefits.
Lets dig in 🙂
1. Get Enough Sleep
Be true to yourself. You perhaps do not sleep well enough or you do not have a proper sleep routine that you follow.
Not getting good and sufficient sleep is possibly one of the reasons you suffer from vertigo.
Apart from causing vertigo, lack of good and sufficient sleep can also aggravate it.
Make is a priority to sleep well every night at a fixed time because good sleep is the suitable and effective remedy for vertigo.
Sleep at least 6-8 hours every night on a comfortable bed with 1 or 2 good pillows that will slightly raise your head.
Do not jump out of your bed as soon as you wake up but make it a habit to rest for few seconds to a minute, slowly sit up straight and remain in that position for a minute before you finally get out of the bed.
This will help you reduce dizziness and any headache you feel. You should also get some rest during and after onset.
2. Try Head Maneuvers
When it comes to head maneuvers, studies have shown that they are very effective treatment for vertigo –80 to 90% of patients get the cure to their condition via maneuvers.
It could be the perfect remedies that you need to totally get rid of your vertigo but you still need a proper and sound sleep routine as explained above.
Head maneuvers also help to prevent vertigo from reoccurring. The session is usually less than 20 minutes.
It is important you visit your doctor for proper diagnosis and if it is vertigo, then you will still need the assistance of your doctor or a therapist to carry out and teach you the head maneuver properly –especially if this is your first time although you can apply this method at home.
The Epley and Semont maneuvers are exercises used to treat the most common type of vertigo known as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV).
The free particles located in the vestibule organs are re-positioned by epley maneuver so that they no longer cause dizziness and imbalance. This is why epley maneuver is also known as re-positioning maneuver.
How to do the Epley Maneuver
- Place a pillow on your bed on a position where your shoulders will rest on it rather than your head when you lie down.
- Sit on your bed and turn your head 45 degrees to the left (towards your shoulder) if your vertigo comes from the left ear.
- Lie down quickly on your back with your shoulders resting on the pillow and your head, still in that 45 degrees position, lower and closer to the bed.
- Remain in that position for 30 seconds.
- Without raising your head, turn your head 90 degrees (halfway) to the right and remain like that for another 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, with your head in that exact position, turn your entire body on its side (90 degrees) which simultaneously makes you face the floor. Wait for 30 seconds.
- Sit up slowly, bring your head to the center and remain on your bed for few minutes.
- If the vertigo is from your right ear, do these movements in the reverse way. (Towards the right)
- Do these maneuver 3 times daily until you do not feel vertigo or dizziness for 24 hours. It is best you do it before bed time rather than the morning or midday.
PS: If you have spinal injury or back problems, avoid carrying out these maneuvers. You should try other tips to treat vertigo naturally as explained here.
3. Always Stay Hydrated (Drink Water)
Dehydration is another reason you may have vertigo because it is a very common cause of vertigo.
It is necessary you always drink plenty of water for this will help you decrease dizziness and maintain balance of your body fluids.
Aside from the fact that hydration helps to keep vertigo in check, it helps to treat urinary tract infection, keep irritable bowel syndrome under control, it improves cardiovascular health, keeps your skin supple, gets rid of toxins from your body, keeps your body cool, gets rid of digestive disorder, reduce high blood pressure etcetera.
Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of pure water daily. Reduce or avoid alcohol and caffeine consumption.
4. Eat and Maintain a Healthy Diet
When you eat and maintain a healthy diet for vertigo, it will help you balance the fluids in your body.
- Avoid fried foods. It will help you alleviate the symptoms associated with vertigo.
- Reduce salt consumption as much as you possibly can because high sodium foods can disturb fluid balance and regulation which will ultimately increase flare-ups of your vertigo.
- Cut back salty foods like canned vegetables, potato chips, crackers and other processed snacks.
- Reduce your sugar consumption because foods that contain high sugar have been proven to affect the balance of fluid.
- Instead of sugary foods like chocolate, sugar cereals, doughnut, cake, soda, candy etc. take fruits.
- Limit processed foods at all costs.
- Avoid nicotine, antacids, aspirin, excess yogurt and excess nuts.
You may feel like all foods have been cut off from you after reading the foods to avoid above but this isn’t so.
There are lots of nutritious and healthy foods you can take to help you alleviate your vertigo and its symptoms.
- Take diets that are highly rich in iron like fresh greens and meats.
- Eat lots of fish well.
- Consider the consumption of sweetener-free juice instead of sugary drinks.
- The very best way to reduce inflammation on a long term is to develop the habit of eating anti-inflammatory foods. Eat garlic and onions well.
- Take more fruits and vegetables too.
- Eat magnesium rich foods for they help reduce vertigo symptoms.
A healthy diet not only helps treat vertigo but solves a bunch of other health problems and keeps your system working in optimal condition 😉
5. Take Ginger
Ginger is one of the oldest natural remedies for vertigo.
It has been used for centuries. It is effective for treating motion sickness and sailors have been using since ages.
When it comes to combating dizziness and nausea associated with vertigo, consider the consumption of ginger an effective option.
The use of ginger whenever you have an attack of vertigo will help you relieve the symptoms you experience within few minutes. According to some sources, ginger helps treat vertigo because it promotes blood circulation to the brain.
- Peeling raw ginger and simply slicing it into pieces or steeping one tablespoon of grated ginger into a full cup of boiling water and finally straining it after five minutes are the ways you can use ginger.
You can also opt-in for ginger supplement if you do not want to use raw ginger or ginger tea but make sure you consult your doctor for proper dosage.
You can alleviate this condition by chewing a piece of ginger on a daily basis.
Whenever you feel nauseated or experience dizziness, make sure you also take ginger.
Alternatively, you can prepare and drink ginger tea two times daily for few weeks. Add honey to it as sweetener if you wish to.
6. Try Gingko Biloba
One of the best herbs that naturally cure vertigo is this Chinese ancient medicine, gingko biloba.
Gingko biloba has been used for a very long time to treat many ailments.
It enhances blood circulation in the brain and inner ear thereby, treating the symptoms of vertigo.
An open, controlled study that was carried out showed that patients with vertigo, dizziness, or both were treated with 80mg of gingko biloba extract twice daily.
This study showed that vertigo and dizziness was improved by 65% when the patients used gingko biloba extract.
Make an herbal tea with gingko and consume every day for vertigo cure. You can take 80 to 120mg of gingko biloba extract twice daily.
You will see improvements within 8 to 12 weeks.