Got sore throat? That can be horrible 🙁
Also known as Pharyngitis, It is the inflammation of the inner membrane of the pharynx with symptoms of pain, scratchiness and difficulty in swallowing.
The pharynx is a tube that extends from the back of the mouth to the esophagus.
A sore throat can make you feel so uncomfortable and some of the major causes are viral bacteria or fungal infections. Other causes of a sore throat may include pollution, smoking, acid reflux, or dry, excessive shouting, or some kind of allergic reactions.
A sore throat may lead to other conditions like a headache, stomach ache, common cold and swollen glands in the neck region.
Normally, they occur when your body’s immune system responds to viral, bacterial or fungal infections.
The good news is that instead of making an appointment with your physician, keep reading to learn how to get rid of sore throat without using medications.
Simple fast sore throat solving options coming your way in a bit. Keep reading.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Due to its antibacterial properties, apple cider vinegar has been used in traditional medicine to get rid of a sore throat and allergies.
It’s active compound, acetic acid has a potent antibacterial property.
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, one tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice to a cup of warm water and drink.
- Repeat this process two to three times a day for quick relief from pain and inflammation.
- Alternatively, make a gargle solution with apple cider vinegar.
- Add one teaspoon each of apple cider vinegar and salt in a glass of warm water.
- Gargle with this solution several times a day to see improvements.
2. Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow has been used as a home remedy for a bad sore throat since the middle age.
The root of this plant contains a gelatin-like substance known as mucilage and hence can be used to coat and lubricate the throat and soothe a sore throat.
In addition to treating sore throat, marshmallow root tea can also be used to to get rid of a common cough and cold.
Note: This remedy is not recommended for people who are diabetic, pregnant or nursing mothers.
- Put one teaspoon of dried marshmallow root to a cup of boiling water.
- Steep it for about 30 minutes, then strain the solution, add some honey and drink.
- You can take 2 to 3 cups of this herbal tea daily for several days to see improvements.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a refreshing beverage and can be used to get relief from a sore throat as they help remove mucus.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to a glass of lemon juice, and drink it.
- You can also gargle with fresh lemon juice diluted with an equal amount of warm water.
- Or, Sprinkle a little salt and pepper over a lemon fruit. Slowly lick the lemon fruit for quick relief.
4. Salt Water Gargle
Gargling with salt water is one of the most popular natural remedies to get rid of sore throat and get relief from pains.
The salt acts like an antiseptic drawing water out of the mucous membrane in the throat.
By so doing, it reduces inflammation and reduces phlegm, giving you quick relief.
- Add ½ teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water.
- Gargle with a mouthful of this solution for about 30 seconds. Spit this solution out after gargling.
- Repeat this process at least three to four times daily for quick relief.
Honey can help fight infection and speed up healing process due to its antibacterial properties.
It also has a hypertonic osmotic effect, meaning it can reduce swelling by drawing water out of inflamed tissues.
- Mix one to two teaspoons of honey with a cup of hot water and drink.
- Another option, add one teaspoon of honey to one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar or to your favorite cup of herbal tea. Drink several times a day for quick relief
Note: This remedy is not recommended for children under the age of one because their gut is not fully developed to acquire healthy gut bacteria that can ward off germs.
If you have this spice in your kitchen cabinet, you should know how to get rid of sore throat without medications.
Along with other medicinal properties, garlic has antibacterial and antiseptic properties that can help treat a sore throat.
- You can chew some clove of raw garlic to release allicin, a chemical compound that helps kill the bacteria responsible for a sore throat.
- Or, you can add some drops of garlic oil to a quarter cup of water and gargle with it daily.
- Also, if you don’t like the taste of garlic, you can eat the cooked form or take garlic pills.
Turmeric is getting a lot of attention lately due to its powerful antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. Due to these properties, it is a great remedy for a sore throat.
- Make a mixture of one-quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder and a cup of warm water. Take this mixture in the morning on an empty stomach. Repeat this once daily for three to four days.
- Or, mix one teaspoon each of turmeric powder and ground black powder to a glass of warm milk and drink before bedtime.
- Another option, gargle with turmeric by adding one-half teaspoon each of turmeric powder and salt to a glass of warm water and stir very well.
Fenugreek has a unique property which helps dissolve mucus in the throat giving you instant relief from pain and inflammation.
- Boil two tablespoons of fenugreek seed in six cups of water.
- Strain it and allow the mixture to cool.
- Gargle with this solution for about three times daily.
8. Slippery Elm
Slippery elm contains a gel-like substance known as mucilage which coats and lubricate the throat, easing soreness and reducing irritation.
- Boil one teaspoon of the inner bark of slippery elm in two cups of water.
- Strain the solution and allow it cool to room temperature.
- Drink this solution for several days for improvement.
In fact, this solution can provide a cure for any kind of respiratory conditions or laryngitis.
Cinnamon is a very delicious spice with antibacterial properties and can be used to get rid of sore throat caused by the common cold.
- Make a mixture of one teaspoon each of cinnamon powder and black pepper in a cup of warm water. Strain this solution and gargle with it twice or thrice daily for several days.
- Alternatively, mix few drops of cinnamon oil and one teaspoon of pure honey. Lick this solution twice a day to get relief from the pain and inflammation that accompanies sore throat.
10. Peppermint Tea
Peppermint tea has anti-inflammatory properties which can soothe a sore throat.
- Make peppermint tea by steeping fresh peppermint leaves in boiling water for about five minutes, and then strain off the leaves.
- Drink this tea for two to three times daily for several days for relief.
11. Stay Hydrated
When you have a sore throat, it’s very likely you may not feel like drinking a lot of fluid.
However, it is pertinent to hydrate your throat’s mucous membrane so that they can heal quickly.
Proper hydration will ultimately make your throat feel better.
When next you have a sore throat, you can try some of these home remedies to get rid of a bad sore throat without medications.
However, if symptoms persist more than two to three days, please consult your physician for examination.
And with that, the end of this conversation. Like this post? Follow us on Instagram @thrivengr for byte-sized health tips.