Hemorrhoids, also known as piles occur when veins in the anus and rectum become swollen and inflamed. About 75 percent of people in the United States at some point in their life experience hemorrhoids between ages 45 and 65
There are some factors which may contribute to hemorrhoids.
Some of them include gravity, family history, constipation, a low-fiber diet, heavy lifting, obesity, food allergies, sedentary lifestyle, pregnancy and prolonged sitting or standing.
There are mainly two types of hemorrhoids which are internal and external.
Internal hemorrhoids as the term suggest develops inside the rectum and external hemorrhoids develop just below the skin around the anus.
Some of the symptoms peculiar to all types of hemorrhoids include blood clots or lumps around the anus, bleeding bowel movements, anal pain, irritation near the anus and the urge to visit the restroom.
If left unchecked or untreated, hemorrhoids may lead to complications like chronic blood loss, strangulated piles, tissue death, and even anal or colorectal cancer.
The good news is that there are some natural cures for hemorrhoids that can alleviate symptoms.
This article contains 11 simple natural home remedies for hemorrhoids, just sit back and read on 🙂
1. Apply Ice
Ice is a perfect treatment for the cure of hemorrhoids.
It will help constrict the blood vessels surrounding the anus, reduce swelling and give instant pain relief.
- Wrap some ice in a clean cloth and apply it directly on the affected area for about 10 minutes. By doing this several times a day, the hemorrhoids will go away quickly.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Due to its astringent properties, apple cider vinegar is one of the most popular home remedies for hemorrhoids.
It helps shrink swollen blood vessels and gives relief from swelling and irritation.
For effectiveness, be sure to use unfiltered and unpasteurized vinegar for faster results
- In the case of external hemorrhoids, simply soak a cotton ball in apple cider vinegar and gently press against the inflamed area.
Note: By doing this you will experience immediate stinging sensation, but you will soon get relief from the itching and irritation.
- Do this until the inflammation disappears.
- In the case of Internal hemorrhoids, make a solution of one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with a glass of water and drink it at least twice daily. For better taste, you can add a little honey.
3. Try Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is one of best natural ingredient for treating hemorrhoids.
The anti-inflammatory and therapeutic properties of aloe vera help relieve symptoms of hemorrhoids. You can use it for both internal and external hemorrhoids.
- For treatment of internal hemorrhoids, cut stripes of the aloe vera discarding the thorn-like parts of the plant and freeze it. Apply the frozen aloe vera to painful hemorrhoid to relieve the pain, burning, and itching sensation.
- For external hemorrhoids, apply a little bit the gel extracted from aloe vera to your anus and slowly massage the area. This treatment for hemorrhoids will give you relief from the pain and soothe the burning sensation.
4. Lemon Juice May Help
Lemon juice contains various nutrients and antioxidant that can help you get rid of hemorrhoids.
It helps strengthen the capillaries and blood vessels surrounding the anus.
- Soak a cotton ball in a freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply it on hemorrhoid.
Note: You will experience some tingling or a burning sensation, but you will immediately experience relief thereafter.
- Alternatively, add hot milk to a half cup of lemon juice and drink it. Do this regularly for quick relief from symptoms of hemorrhoids.
5. Hydration is Important
Dehydration and dryness may also cause hemorrhoids.
When suffering from either internal or external hemorrhoids, you need to increase the level of your water intake. You can try to drink between 8 to 10 glasses of water daily.
Adequate hydration helps cleanse tour internal system and hydrates your body. It also facilitates bowel movements and makes the stool soft, thereby reducing straining.
When you are not properly hydrated, the process of excreting waste from your body slows down and there can be a backlog in the bowel. The ultimate result being hard stool which can worsen hemorrhoids,
6. Olive Oil
Olive oil is another effective ingredient that is used as a cure for hemorrhoids.
It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties that make it ideal as a home remedy for external hemorrhoids.
Moreover, it helps in vasodilatation, which in turn reduce inflammation in the anal canal
- Consume one teaspoon or a small amount of olive oil in food daily. This will help reduce inflammation and improve the functionality of the bowel movement due to monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) present in olive oil.
- Alternatively, crush the juice of some plum leaves and add olive oil to it. Apply this solution on the infected area for relief from pain and swelling.
7. Witch Hazel
The mild astringent and healing properties of witch hazel will help get rid of hemorrhoids fast.
These properties of witch hazel can help shrink inflamed blood vessels, relieving pain, itching, and swelling.
- Dip a cotton ball in undiluted witch hazel and apply it to the hemorrhoids. Repeat this for at least three times daily for quick relief.
- In another way, you can purchase medicated pads that contain witch hazel. These pads can be used in lieu or in combination with toilet paper. By so doing, you protect the anus from irritation and microorganism.
8. Black Tea Bags
Tea contains a chemical compound known as tannic acid.
This acid is a natural astringent that will help get rid of swelling and pains associated with hemorrhoids.
- Wet a black tea bag in hot water, then remove it and let it cool slightly. Apply the warm tea bag to the inflamed area for about 10 minutes. Repeat this two to three times daily.
9. Almond Oil
If you have this oil in your kitchen cabinet, you probably know how to get rid of pile faster and with ease.
Almond oil is known mostly for its emollient and deep tissue absorption properties and is used mainly as a home remedy for external hemorrhoids.
- Soak a cotton ball in almond oil and apply it on the affected area. This will moisturize and ease inflammation thereby relieving the burning and itching sensation in and around the anus. Repeat this several times a day.
10. Whole Grains
If you are suffering from hemorrhoids, you should incorporate into your diet. Whole grain products are a rich source of fiber, which is highly effective in relieving hemorrhoid symptoms and bleeding.
The fiber helps cleanse the gut, preventing constipation and allowing the colon to work efficiently.
10. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is another effective home remedy for pile. This oil has anti-inflammatory and curative properties.
- Make a mixture of one or two drops of tea tree oil with a carrier oil like castor oil. Apply it directly over the infected area with the help of a cotton swap.
- Do this regularly for quick relief from pains and itching.
Note: Since this oil is very strong, it should always be diluted by mixing it with a carrier oil.